** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. ** MESSAGE FOLLOWS:
Dear all,

Our next seminar will be What's in your musical DNA? given by Antony Pitts of the Royal Academy of Music.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering Department, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/ as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control, so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary's, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's stuck outside the doors...

All are welcome to attend. For those unable to attend a video recording of the seminar should be available on the above website after a few days.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Wednesday's seminar (25 Mar 4pm):

Title:
What's in your musical DNA?

Speaker:
Antony Pitts

Abstract:
Making a multi-dimensional index of music,  musicians,  and music-making linked to online and offline resources,  and using it to display and navigate a timeline of musical history,  the life-cycle of any piece of music from any genre or period,  and the musical profiles of individuals and organizations.

Bio:
Antony Pitts sang as a boy in the Chapel Royal,  Hampton Court Palace,  and then in a rock group. Since gaining First-Class Honours in Music at New College,  Oxford in 1990 he has forged parallel careers as composer,  director,  producer,  and teacher. His own music has been premiered in London's Wigmore Hall and Westminster Cathedral,  Amsterdam's Concertgebouw,  and the Philharmonie Kammermusiksaal in Berlin,  and recorded for Hyperion,  Naxos,  and Harmonia Mundi; his 40-part motet XL and The Naxos Book of Carols are published by Faber Music. He founded and directs the ensemble TONUS PEREGRINUS with a repertoire ranging from the earliest mediaeval polyphony to Tears for Fears's Mad World; their debut CD hit the top of the classical charts and won a Cannes Classical Award. He was a BBC Senior Producer,  working at Radio 3 from 1992 to 2005; he received the Radio Academy BT Award for a live interactive internet experiment in 1995,  devised an 18-hour history of Western music for the turn of the Millennium,  and was awarded the Prix Italia in 2004. Since 1999 he has taught at the Royal Academy of Music in London where he is currently Senior Lecturer in Creative Technology; his long-standing research interest in the nature of musical,  historical,  and aesthetic time forms the basis for the musicDNA project. http://www.cd.tp/

Tim Murray Browne

--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
Electronic Engineering Department