Lynn White, in his 1938 book, "Latin Monasticism in Norman Sicily",  presents
the following information.

"Possibly somone cognizant of monastic appetites might calculate the  number
of monks at St. John's from the following provisions.  Every day  the
monastery was to receive 62 loaves of bread made of fine flour ('simula'),  and 6 of
coarser meal ('farina'), each weighing a pound; every month, 3  'tummini' of
'simula' and an equil amount of 'farina'; every year 998 (sic!)  'congia' of
wine, of which a fourth part was to be 'de pede', and 21 barrels  of tuna fish,
'et quarta ad magnum barrilium cum sale et fustibus  preparata.'"

Is there a way to work out the number of monks?  I am thinking that  the
number of daily loaves of bread might give an estimation, that there might  be a
rule-of-thumb applicable here?

Thank you.
Nancy

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. _See  yours in just 2 easy  steps!_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http://www
.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=febemailfooterNO
62)

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)