Some entirely unofficial (as he notes) remarks posted
to Mediev-L by Alexander Regh:

Short news update: Approximately 40% of the documents
in the archive were stored in buildings in the back of
the main building and were unharmed. Another 20% have
been retrieved now from the rubble, in varying
conditions. Some not damaged at all, others torn to
shreds, and everything in between. Which means that
another roughly 40% of the documents are still missing.

Among the things saved are a large collection of seals
and one of the two manuscripts by Albertus Magnus.

Unfortunately, many of the more valuable documents were
stored on the fourth floor of the main building,
because in Cologne, there is always some worry about
flooding. Which means whatever was stored there is now
right in the middle of the rubble heap.

On the site itself, the search for a missing person
currently still has priority, which means that
retrieving the documents in a systematic way is a
secondary concern. Every bit of rubble removed is
checked by hand for documents though. The roof that is
going to protect the rubble is coming up nicely, after
stability problems in the last days. Rescue operations
are also constantly hampered by the instable ground.

http://www.historischesarchivkoeln.de/index.php?lang=en
is not an official site, but they are collecting any
digital copies of material from the town archive.

http://archiv.twoday.net/
is also an archivists blog that tries to keep
up-to-date and some articles are in English. There is
in particular an article about coordinating help
offers:
http://archiv.twoday.net/stories/5575374/

Pictures from the Rescue Work at the scene w. English
comments
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-40461.html#backToArticle=612129
Another photo line, the first two show how the rubble
is searched
http://www.ksta.de/html/fotolines/1236343916070/rahmen.shtml?1
Aerial photos showing just how big the site is
http://www.ksta.de/html/fotolines/1236100099505/rahmen.shtml?1

Please feel free to post this anywhere where you think
it might be of interest. If you have any questions,
feel free to mail me, but of course I cannot guarantee
an answer -- I am merely somebody twittering about the
rescue works, because they are happening right in front
of my balcony.

Alex
(currently twittering as SamZidat)
--
If you don't go over the top,
you can't see what's on the other side.

Alex' Assorted Homepages: www.alexhere.de

--

Finally, such updates as there are are also being
reported in English at

http://board-js.blogspot.com/

Terrence Lockyer
Johannesburg, South Africa