From: Discussion List for RFID in Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Corrigan, Lynn [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 March 2009 16:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Libraries with Hybrid RFID / barcode Setups

Hello

Here at Edinburgh Napier we are embarking on a smartcard project, with the view to replacing our student ID/library cards with their National Entitlement Cards (the Young Scot<http://www.entitlementcard.org.uk/> card). These will have RFID chips and no barcode, at present there are no plans to RFID stock and there will be other users with internally produced cards using old-style barcodes. (I do know of the Abertay project)

Of those libraries that have embarked on RFID has anyone done it this way round (I'm guessing, no!), do you run a hybrid system and are there any Aleph-specific issues that have arisen? I know of some libraries with partial RFID stock or only stock, but not members, are there also any general points about managing a dual-scanning system?

Regards

Lynn

Lynn Corrigan

Information Systems Manager

Edinburgh Napier University

Craiglockhart Campus

Edinburgh EH14 1DJ

e: [log in to unmask]

t: 0131 455 4265

Edinburgh Napier University is the best modern university in Scotland* and number one in Scotland for graduate employability**
(*Guardian University Guide 2009)
(**HESA 2008)

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else out-with the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Edinburgh Napier University does not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.
Edinburgh Napier University is a registered Scottish charity. Registration number SC018373