Hi Matt,

You are correct: the diffusion gradients are applied in the undistorted space, so correcting
for the EPI distortions brings the images into "alignment" with the actual directions along
which the diffusion gradient were applied.  However, the problem is that eddy_correct not
only corrects for eddy-currents and other EPI-related image distortions, but also for
subject motion.  It is the actual physical rotation of the head what calls for a rotation of
the gradient directions, and there is no way to separate  both effects (image distortions
and rigid-body rotations) in eddy_correct.

-Pablo