Dear all,

members know the NRM's policy.

We do allow digital photography by researchers, but with certain
controls and procedures.  Users are required to sign a declaration which
stipulates that they are taking the images for private research only,
that they will not supply copies to anyone in any media, they won't
publish them (including on-line publication) without prior consultation,
and that they undertake not to infringe copyright.  We register all
users so the form can be matched against their details should there be
any need for follow-up.  We also insist that flash is switched off and
that staff are consulted before any photography takes place.  We also
empower our front of house team to say no and to halt any photography if
they think documents are being damaged or anything untoward is taking
place.  Photography takes place in our invigilated study room, so any
abuses are easily spotted, and the front of house assistants can call
upon a duty curator to reinforce their decisions.

After a year of operation we haven't had any major issues with this
policy, our users seem happy to comply with the procedure.  We've also
had some good feedback from engineering groups and modellers who find
they can manipulate the digital images they take of engineering drawings
to highlight particular crucial details.

Yours,

Tim Procter

Archivist
National Railway Museum