...and I would add that (following this line of argument) that when these
sclerotia occur in occupation deposits which seem unlikely to have been
living soils one suspects the deposits contain imported soil - there are
often other components to 'go with them' such as peat fragments or fruits,
seeds and underground organs which may have arrived in, for example, turves
of various kinds.

Allan

--
Dr Allan Hall, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Archaeology, University
of York, The King's Manor, York YO1 7EP, UK

Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really
need to.