CHAMELEON, Tina Gonsalves, Hugo Critchley and Helen Sloan

  Artist talk and panel discussion at Lighthouse, Brighton, UK

04 February 09, 7 – 9pm

  Lighthouse is pleased to invite you to the first Digiville event of
the year.

  Why is it that one person can have the ability to ‘light up a room’?
How  does a previously upbeat group become miserable? The Chameleon
Project merges art, neuroscience and technology into a poetic
interactive video art installation driven by emotions of the audience.
The project investigates emotional contagion, highlighting how we
innately and continuously synchronize with the facial expressions,
voices, postures of others, unconsciously infecting each other with
our emotions.

With Chameleon, individuals become intimately connected and implicated
into varying emotionally provocative and reflexive social
interactions.  The work uses mind reading technology, video and
emotional algorithms to assess and respond to the emotional states of
the audience. For the audience, the piece reveals the delicate nature
of how our emotional state constantly shifts how we make sense of our
external and internal world.

The CHAMELEON project takes the form of a progression of experiments
through ten stages each combining new neuroscientific and affective
computing research into powerful video art installations. These
installations both provoke and respond to emotional processes in the
viewer by producing meaningful emotionally responsive audiovisual
narratives.

Lighthouse has recently commissioned Tina Gonsalves to develop and
exhibit prototype 8 of her 10 stage CHAMELEON project in the
Lighthouse space during 2009. Currently Honorary Artist in Residence
at the Wellcome Department of Neuroimaging at The Institute of
Neurology (IoN) in London, Gonsalves is collaborating with various
eminent neuroscientists and world leading affective computer
scientists, merging key research centres internationally including the
Affective Computing Group at the Media Lab, Massachussetts Institute
of Technology (MIT), USA where she is Visiting Artist.

Tina Gonsalves will be discussing the development of the CHAMELEON
with members of her collaborative team, neuroscientist Dr. Hugo
Critchley and curator of the project, Helen Sloan Director of SCAN
media arts agency.  this evening of presentation, demonstration and
discussion promises to be unmissable for anyone interested in the
collaborative and cross-disciplinary aspects of innovative media art
practice.

Chameleon is funded through a large arts award Wellcome Trust,
Australia Arts Council, Arts Council England,  Australian Network for
Arts and Technology and is supported by UCL, Brighton and Sussex
Medical School, SCAN, MIT and The Banff Centre

tina gonsalves
http://www.tinagonsalves.com

tina gonsalves
http://www.tinagonsalves.com