Depending on the sort of gallon (US 3.785 liter or UK 4.546 liter) this would be between 11.355 liter and 13.638 liter per person per day. If we compute that monks slept between 6-8 hours each day that would be ca 0.7 liter every hour or a large pint (0.6 liter). 17 pints a day! I know some ale could be pretty weak; ca 1-2 %, but there were strong ales as well. It would mean that anglo-saxon monks must have been plastered each day, which would have ad its effect on life in a monastery. I am not aware of that. Besides that: to drink ca 12 liters of fluids each day is not good for the system.
So; are you sure you got that right, John? Or do you mean by gallon a pre-1066 size which contained far less than our modern one? Or is this also "an over-literal interpretation" by you of some local or regional rule?

Henk

Actually, it was in Egbert's Pontifical and it was *beer* - and this is important because the *daily* allowance for Anglo-Saxon monks was three gallons...

It was a Northern European problem, because of of Leviticus 11:29+ in the Irish Penitentials.

It is probably the sort of nonsense that Durandus would have got rid of, so it would be best to look in later Anglo-Saxon (and Anglo-Norman) Pontificals.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]