To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Blessings on wine

Amy Neff wrote:

Not long ago, we had a lovely (and no doubt useful) blessing to purify wine
sullied by a drowned mouse or weasel, referring the miracle at Cana. This   > was from the 10th century. Does anyone know if this blessing, or something   > similar, can be found in later medieval use?

Actually, it was in Egbert's Pontifical and it was *beer* - and this is important because the *daily* allowance for Anglo-Saxon monks was three gallons...

It was a Northern European problem, because of an over-literal interpretation of Leviticus 11:29+ in the Irish Penitentials.

It is probably the sort of nonsense that Durandus would have got rid of, so it would be best to look in later Anglo-Saxon (and Anglo-Norman) Pontificals.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]