Hi Jackie,

In practice, I'd just follow whatever Sherpa/ROMEO recommends for the journal, unless I had on record the actual agreement signed by the author and believed it to allow anything different. That makes procedures easier to set up and follow.

It's basically down to interpretation with this particular policy that you quote. Interestingly, we would have to lock any final version held on our "secure external website" against harvesting by any other "electronic public server" though. To me, that is what would prevent me from putting the final version into our repository. The "pre-print" described in this agreement as being the accepted one, is in fact what we might call the post-print, I believe. I would not replace it with the final version, because a post-print that does not have to be locked against other repositories harvesting it is far more valuable, I believe.

ROMEO's interpretation of Blackwell's policy does seem to hold true, in this case. But I do find it interesting that this is the policy as claimed by the publisher, but the actual agreement text, as quoted by Les, seems to imply that the final version can be deposited in a repository. In my opinion, this is just another reason for our authors to pay attention to what they are signing and to keep us informed.

Jen

Jenny Delasalle

E-Repositories Manager

Research & Innovation Unit