Sumit wrote (in reply to my request for help creating a list):
>Can't we just stick to Geo-met and see how much traffic there is,
>before we start another list to look at / stop mails from coming
>when we go to the field / start again when we are back, forget to
>turn off the auto-reply... and so on and so forth...you get the
>idea? I am sure all of us could survive, even benefit from, a small
>dose of being perplexed. If a threshold is reached, then one can
>always start a new list. My two cents worth,

The main reason I thought to do a separate list is because the only
reply I received on-list to a question asking for help with Perple_x
here was the suggestion that it would be worth bothering Jamie about
it, and the only off-list reply I received was a request to share any
answer I obtained.  This implied to me that most folk on this list
aren't interested in answering such questions, but that there was at
least one other interested in hearing such discussion.  Creating a
dedicated list and advertising it with the program, to my mind,
increased the odds of someone on the list actually having a go at
answering questions, since, in theory, only people interested in the
topic would be present.  I also tend to use filters in my e-mail
program based upon which list the mail is coming from, and when time
is short, I look in the folders in order of priority (which is
subject to change from one week to another), so an extra list makes
it easier for me.  However, I haven't yet had to change addresses
since subscribing to lists via this server. Does one need to change
address for each list one at a time?  With Yahoo one changes one's
address in one place, and all lists to which the outgoing address had
been subscribed change at once to the new address.  I would have
expected that an academic list server would be as convenient. If it
isn't then your concern about the hassle of changing addresses is a valid one.

Does anyone else have an opinion? I've had a few people say they'd
join such a list, one suggestion to go with Yahoo (which tends to be
a major target of spam robots and other nasty side effects of e-mail,
which is one reason I'm happier to stay with an academic server if
possible--it is work-aroundable, but requires extra effort on the
part of the moderators), but no suggestions for ways to create such a
list on an academic server.

>P.S. I am waiting to hear Jamie's answer to your question.

Sorry, I spent today on the microprobe--I'll send that on next.

--Reia

Reia M. Chmielowski
PhD Candidate
Department of Earth Sciences/CODES