Interesting post.  I'm looking forward to taking a look at some of the books and articles suggested here.

My own suggestion is: "In Sickness and in Power" by Sir David Owen which is a recent book that includes a particularly interesting chapter on JFK's struggle with Addison's Disease and it's consequences for US Foreign Policy from the Bay of Pigs fiasco to the Cuban Missiles Crisis.

Good luck Pranab

Mathew Stone
Assistant Librarian
Health Library & Information Service
Fieldhouse Education Centre
Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
BD9 6RJ

Tel. 01274 364 122
Fax: 01274 364 704

>>> Pranab Chatterjee <[log in to unmask]> 02/01/09 4:55 pm >>>

Hi,

I requre some help in writing an article: Diseases that Changed the Course of History.In this, I need to concentrate on diseases affecting individuals that ffected the course of history or somehow affected his own field. I have two examples to get going:

1. King George III and his afflictioon of Acute Intermittent Porphyria, how it affected the course of the American history.

2. Vincent van Gogh and his affections and how they affected his art.

It would be great if you could pitch in with some more ideas.

Thans and regards,
Pranab.MBBS (Final)Medical College, KolkataIndia Mobile: +91 98 361361 [log in to unmask]@pranabchatterjee.co.cc My Webpage & Blog
Plug in to the MSN Tech channel for a full update on the latest gizmos that made an impact.
http://computing.in.msn.com/

Your Hospital needs YOU! We need you to register as a Public, Patient or Staff member and help shape the future of your healthcare. Call 0800 280 2581 to register by phone or you can email  [log in to unmask]  and ask to be registered as a new member.  For more information about our hospitals and Foundation Trust Membership please visit www.bradfordhospitals.nhs.uk
This message is confidential. It may also contain privileged information. The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the named addressee only. Unless you are the named addressee or authorised to receive the e-mail of the named addressee you may not disclose, use or copy the contents of the e-mail. If you are not the person for whom the message was intended, please notify the sender immediately at Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and delete the material from your computer. You must not use the message for any other purpose, nor disclose its contents to any person other than the intended recipient. Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust does not accept responsibility for this message and any views or opinions contained in this e-mail are solely those of the author unless expressly stated otherwise.