Hi Kumara,

It is therapy.  There are about a dozen studies that answer this
question and all of them are RCTs.

The difference between a study of a diagnostic test is that it compares
two diagnostic tests, the test being studied and the reference standard.
 In this case, the comparison is narcotics or no narcotics, a question
of therapy.  The outcome just happens to be a correct or incorrect
diagnosis, not the diagnosis itself.

Hope that this help,

Dan

Dan Mayer, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY,  12208
Ph; 518-262-6180
FAX; 518-262-5029
E-mail; [log in to unmask]
>>> K Mendis <[log in to unmask]> 02/21/09 8:58 PM >>>
Hi

Our clinical problem was whether analgesic effect of morphine will
anyway
interfere with the physical examinations findings of diagnosing acute
appendicitis

Our PICO

P- adults with suspected appendicitis

I- morphine analgesia

C- without morphine analgesia

O- accurate diagnosis of acute appendicitis

Is this a diagnosis question?
Does a diagnosis question needs two tests? (gold standard & another)

or a therapy question that effects diagnosis

thank you in advance

Kumara

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is protected by law and is for the
sole use of the individuals or entities to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this email and destroying all copies of the
communication and attachments. Further use, disclosure, copying,
distribution of, or reliance upon the contents of this email and
attachments is strictly prohibited. To contact Albany Medical
Center, or for a copy of our privacy practices, please visit us on
the Internet at www.amc.edu.