I am writing to give everyone an up-date of what BASA (Black & Asian Studies Association) is doing.

BASA AGM/Conference. Saturday 27 June. The next AGM and Conference of BASA will be held on Saturday 27 June: venue to be aranged. If you would like to offer to give a talk please let me have a title and an outline in time for the next Committee meeting on 3 March.

Newsletter Publication. Because of the difficulties of preparing a Newsletter for publication in January, the Newsletter production cycle is being changed. This January's issue will be published in March. From the beginning of the new financial year from 1 April the publication sequence will be July, November and March. The editor is always looking for contributions, so please keep the flow of parish and other records information, notes about projects, and longer articles (up to three pages of the Newsletter) to Shelley Goffe-Caldeira : [log in to unmask]

Newsletter Editorial Board. A Newsletter Editorial Board has been established comprising Shelley as Editor, Marika Sherwood (who runs the reviews section) and Cliff Pereira (BASA Chair and Deputy Editor). They will be looking at the range of issues involved in re-designing and re-sizing the Newsletter and who it is aimed at. If any BASA member not on the Committee would like to help with the production of the newsletter please contact Shelley.

Membership. The Committee urges all those who are signed up to BASAJISC to join BASA. Membership includes receiving the three Newsletters. Concern was expressed at the last AGM that BASAJISC was so successful that it was discouraging people and organisations from joining BASA as an organisation. The Committee is therefore investigating the technical aspects of providing a member discussion forum on the BASA website. It is also apparent that some people who, and organisations which, have sent in membership applications have not had a response. We think this may be due to non-arrival because of problems with trying to send emails via the website on which the membership form is available. Dan Lyndon and Jonah Albert, who are in charge of the website, are looking into this. If you have had problems please let me know. As Secretary I am responsible for ensuring the distribution of the Newsletter and with the March issue the inclusion of membership renewal forms for the year 1 April 2009 to 31 March 2010. Anyone who joins BASA betweeen now and the end of March will receive the 2008/9 issues.

Education Working Group. The Committee has set up an Education Working Group. This is being convened by Marika Sherwood. This will be subject to a seperate email.

Committee Meetings. The Committee meetings up to the AGM are scheduled for 3 March, 20 April, and 27 May. If there are issues that you want the Committee to consider please send the details to me.

BASA Contact Address. The BASA contact address is now: The Secretary, BASA, 18 Ridge Rd, Mitcham, Surrey, CR4 2ET. The previous address of the Institute of Commonwealth Studies will no longer be used. Firstly, it does not suit me to have to go there, and secondly it is moving premises. If you work for an organisation that has BASA on its postal list and the contact details on its website I would be grateful if you would arrange for them to be amended.

BASA Archive. An in principle decision has been made that BASA's Archive will be deposited on loan with Black Cultural Archives when it moves into its new premises at Raleigh Hall in Brixton.

Libraries. A few weeks ago there was a BASAJISC discussion on problems with libraries. The Committee meeting on 3 March will discuss this, and therefore more contributions to the debate would be welcome.

Supporting Others Events. The Committee considers that it would be mutually beneficial if it could give its support as an organsiation to events on Black & Asian Heritage being run by other organisations or communioty history with a Black & Asian component. If you are involved in an organisation which thinks this would be a useful thing to do, please let me have the details of the event you want BASA's support at an early planning stage, bearing in mind the dates the Committee meets - approx. six weekly.

The Committee. The Committee members are:  Chair and Deputy Newsletter Editor: Cliff Pereira; Vice- chair: Marika Sherwood; Treasuer: Audrey Edwards; Vice-Treasurer: Audrey Edwards; Vice Treasurer/Sponsorship & Fund Raising Officer:  Miranda Kaufmann; Secretary: Sean Creighton; Website Editor: Dan Lyndon; Deputy Website Editor: Jonah Albert; Newsletter Editor: Shelley Goffe-Caldeira. Other members: Julia Bush, Daniel Grey, Caz Bressey, Donna Palmer-Smith, Arthur Torrington, Selma El- Rayah, Hakim Adi.

Sean Creighton
Secretary,  Black & Asian Studies Association
18 Ridge Rd, Mitcham, CR4 2ET
020 8640 2014
www.blackandasianstudies.org.uk