Hello,

maybe Centaurea???

Naomi

On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:56 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

Hello,

To my opinion, it's not Punica because the seed have a very
hard testa. It's not carthamus cause I know very well this
seed. For me it's an Asteraceae but what specie? We are the
same kind of morphotype in Near East.
Attached, photos of Punica (dessicated) and Carthamus
(carbonised).

Good luck, Linda

To          : [log in to unmask]
Cc          :
Date      : Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:02:11 +0100
Subject : Do you know this species?

Dear members of the list,

I too would appreciate  a little help for the identification
of seeds
that Veronique Matterne and I  have met in different
contexts in
northern France (Hallstatt, La Tène, Roman) and  for which
we are
running out of ideas. I'm sending you pictures of two
different sets:
the first one (charred seeds) comes from an Iron age context
(La Tène
A-5th century B.C).  The second one (mineralised seeds)
comes from a
Roman site. The two sets don't represent necessarily  the
same species
but they look very much alike. We have tried many
identifications
(Arctium, Amelanchier, Dipsacaceae, Pinus spec,
Berberis,...) but none
seems to be completely satisfying. So we would be very
grateful for any
new idea!
Thanks.

Françoise Toulemonde

Doctorante à Paris1-Panthéon Sorbonne Archéologie et
Environnement
UMR 7209 - /Archéozoologie, archéobotanique : sociétés,
pratiques et
environnements/
Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle
Bât. Anatomie comparée CP56
55 rue Buffon
75005 Paris

Herveux Linda
Commanderie de Jalès
07460 Berrias et Casteljau
0689817883-0475898024

---------------------- ALICE N°1 de la RELATION CLIENT 2008*--------------------
Découvrez vite l'offre exclusive ALICE BOX! En cliquant ici http://abonnement.aliceadsl.fr Offre soumise à conditions.*Source : TNS SOFRES / BEARING POINT. Secteur Fournisseur d.Accès Internet<DSCN5586.JPG><Dscn1879a.jpg>

Naomi F. Miller

University of Pennsylvania Museum

MASCA-Museum Applied Science Center for Archaeology

3260 South Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

tel: 215.898.4075; FAX: 215.898.0657

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~nmiller0/