In the standard univariate situation, power depends on the size of the
effect. In the SPM setting, one would also have to consider the extent
of the effect. This is because the probability of max(t) to exceed the
significance threshold must depend on the number of voxels in which
the expectation of t is not zero, i.e. the null is false (each of
these voxels has a chance to provide the t for which max(t) is
overthreshold). The number of combinations is daunting, and the
usually speculative character of power calculations becomes even more
marked.

If one has a definite hypothesis on how large the violation of the
null might be, then one possibility is carry out Monte Carlo
simulations on artificially generated data. Even this wouldn't
replicate the SPM test, because the latter computes estimates of
smoothness from the residuals, but it would be a start.

A more pragmatic computation is based on the t values that are usually
enough to produce significant results. In my experience, one must
target a t value of at least about 5.

Best wishes,
Roberto Viviani
Dept. of Psychiatry