Dear Haakon,

Perhaps your EPI images are too distorted to register to T1 at all, e.g.
the coregistration algorithm can never find a good rigid body match
because a 'good' match simply doesn't exist?

Especially with long readout trains or high field strengths EPI images
can be spatially distorted considerably, compared to T1 acquisition, due
to susceptibility artifacts. In that case, you could either try to
reduce your EPI readout train by using a higher bandwith or deploy
parallel acquisition (SENSE, GRAPPA).

Alternatively, you could try to normalize your EPI data directly to an
EPI template when using classical normalization. Then the non-linear
part of the transformation might compensate for the typical spatial
distortion. Or, when your EPI images are of sufficiently high contrast,
try to use unified segmentation on them (I only manage to do that with
some success for hi-resolution EPI, eg 2x2x2 mm or below).

Finally, when you can acquire phase maps on your scanner, you could try
to unwarp your EPI images using the phase maps in SPM5/SPM8 unwarping
(0-th order unwarping). When I'm informed well this will presently only
work for axial EPI acquisition with the phase encoding AP or PA.

Good luck,

Bas

Dr. S.F.W. Neggers
Division of Brain Research
Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience
Utrecht University Medical Center

Visiting : Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
           Room B.01.1.03
Mail     : Huispost B.01.206, P.O. Box 85500
           3508 GA Utrecht, the Netherlands
Tel      : +31 (0)88 7559609
Fax      : +31 (0)88 7555443
E-mail   : [log in to unmask]