Thank you Rik, that is helpful!
I wasn't aware of that page.

However, as mentioned by you:
" Note that, if your resulting modulators are linearly-dependent, this
will mean that you cannot estimate certain contrasts (namely those
that don't sum to zero) - but this doesn't matter if you are always
interested in *differences* between conditions, rather than the unique
effect of each."

Indeed, when I add each condition seperately -- [1 1 0 0 0 ... ], [0 0
1 1 1], ... etc. --  I can't estimate the effect of each condition
seperately, but that's what I want to do actually (option 2 in my
original post).

Note that I didn't add RT as a modulator yet. I first want to check
whether condition effects are the same as when I use a categorical
design.

I workaround would be option a) in this post from Tobias Egner:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind05&L=SPM&D=0&P=321362
In which he suggest to get rt from the design where all trials are
collapsed, and rt is added as parametric modulator.

What do you think?