In addition to my university post I have an HSE FAW training consultancy. I teach what you suggest Car, ie first aiders may choose to give aspirin to their nearest and dearest but whether they are able to give aspirin to work colleagues depends on the organisation.

My experience, both as an OHN and as a FA trainer, suggests that a small number of first aiders have a tendency to be over-enthusiastic and I would not want support taht those particular people were authorised to give aspirin – the employer is vicariously liable and a previous posting refers to the effect of aspirin on a gastric or duodenal ulcer.  ( Worryingly when in the middle east,, I  worked with a very in-experienced doctor  who initially mis-diagnosed a gastric ulcer as a possible MI (heart attack for  non-nurse/doctor subscribers) – I won’t comment on the competence of the doctor concerned,  but if he could make that mistake so could a first-aider.) The effects of  delaying until the arrival of a paramedic is probably negligible on the long term  outcome.

Anne Harriss
Course Director OH programmes
London South Bank University