In addition to my university post I have an HSE FAW training consultancy. I
teach what you suggest Car, ie first aiders may choose to give aspirin to
their nearest and dearest but whether they are able to give aspirin to work
colleagues depends on the organisation.

My experience, both as an OHN and as a FA trainer, suggests that a small
number of first aiders have a tendency to be over-enthusiastic and I would
not want support taht those particular people were authorised to give
aspirin ­ the employer is vicariously liable and a previous posting refers
to the effect of aspirin on a gastric or duodenal ulcer.  ( Worryingly when
in the middle east,, I  worked with a very in-experienced doctor  who
initially mis-diagnosed a gastric ulcer as a possible MI (heart attack for
non-nurse/doctor subscribers) ­ I wonąt comment on the competence of the
doctor concerned,  but if he could make that mistake so could a
first-aider.) The effects of  delaying until the arrival of a paramedic is
probably negligible on the long term  outcome.

Anne Harriss
Course Director OH programmes
London South Bank University

On 13/1/09 17:50, "Carr Barnes" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Something to discuss maybe with a your H&S team, Borough first aid course
> co-ordinator, the first aid tutor and OP to identify the company stance? From
> what i recall when we had inhouse trainers in places i worked there was always
> emphasis on "you may learn this as general first aid and what you chose to do
> outside work is your own choice but in work as a designated first aider we
> do/do not provide medication"
>
> 2009/1/13 shirley jones <[log in to unmask]>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I work as an Occupational Health Advisor in a Large Local Authority and would
>> really appreciate some advice/ guidance on an issue that has arisen..
>>
>> An individual who works as a Solicitor within the Authority has recently been
>> on  a Designated First Aider course, and he says he was advised to give
>> Aspirin as first aid for a suspected MI. Is this something that anyone has
>> come accross?? I have concerns, eg how would a non medically trained
>> individual correctly diagnose a heart attack? This individual is now
>> requetsin
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any advice i receive,
>>
>> Shirley Jones
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.
>>
>> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>>
>> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>>
>> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net <http://ohjobs.drmaze.net/>
>>
>> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION http://www.aohne.org.uk
>> <http://www.aohne.org.uk/>
>>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net