Hi Amanda

I would also check this chaps Hep B status. I know that you state that he is 'already covered' but have you seen this information yourself? I have seen quite a few recipients who believed that they had protection against Hep B when in fact they have never had an Anti-HBs test or that they have never received a full course of vaccinations. He may well require an accelerated course of vaccine.

Risk assessment for PEP - HIV doesn't live outside the body for much more than 1 hour, so was it a used old needle? Visible blood?

I would offer a 6 months test for HIV as well as Hep C pcr along with the tests already recommended by others. HIV isn't always picked up at 12 weeks.

Best wishes

Michael
> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:15:37 +0000> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Innoculation Injuries (Unknown Source)> To: [log in to unmask]> > Please can I ask my NHS colleagues for advice here.> We have a fire fighter who attended an incident and sustained a needle stick > injury on Christmas eve.> He attended A&E & was given a Hep B booster (although he was already > covered) but nothing else. Now its been a while since I worked in the NHS but > we used to take bloods & offer 'PEP' has this cahnged?> Also I have told him he will need to be screened at 3 months & 6 months for > HIV - is this correct as his GP has said 3 months will be sufficient.> > Ideally I suppose Im looking for some simple guidance that will help both him & > me.> Can anyone help> & Happy New Year to all.> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> Please remove this footer before replying.> > OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html> > CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH> > OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS> http://OHJobs.drmaze.net> > OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION> http://www.aohne.org.uk
Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000001ukm/direct/01/

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: