Hello Norma

I suspect that the organisation are looking for a magic want to solve their
sickness absence (SA) problems. Factors influencing sickness absence are
complex and I would suggest that replacing keyboards is reactive, costly and
I donıt think it will make a signifant difference to the level of
absenteeism. A more radical approach may have more effect and you as an OHN
are in a perfect position to offer them guidance, however, they own the
problem.

I was a judge for the SA category for the OH awards in 2007. The winner of
that section and overall winner of the awards was a resource developed by
EEF. It is an excellent resource and contains templates for a range of
letters and guidance for development of policies. Although costly it is
certainly value for money and would be a much better investment in the first
instance than replacing keyboards. I wish it had been available when I was
in my first OH job where absence levels were astronomical, it would have
made my job so much easier and would have gained me lots of brownie points.
I refused to be part of a ³policing service² but contributed to policy
development, developed a management referral system, helped management take
a risk management approach.  The company saved the equivalent of my salary
in reduced non-attendance within one year of my appointment.

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2008/01/02/42944/occupational-health-
awards-2007-capita-health-solutions-award-for-absence-management.html

Hope it is of assistance

Anne Harriss
Course Director
London South Bank University

> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:28:26 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] washable keyboard
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Dear All
> I have just started working for a call centre (hot desking of course) with
> high levels of sickness absence and a manager has asked me about the merits of
> 'washable keyboards'.
> Have to say I've not heard of them but did wonder if anyone out there knows of
> them or has any experience of using them and more importantly how effective
> would they be in trying to reduce sickness absence due to coughs and colds etc
> regards
> Norma Teakle
> OHA - various!
>

> Are you a PC?  Upload your PC story and show the world Click Here!
> <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/122465942/direct/01/>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please
> remove this footer before replying.
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION http://www.aohne.org.uk
>

> Are you a PC?  Upload your PC story and show the world Click Here!
> <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/122465942/direct/01/> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please
> remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: