I don't teach, although I did part-time for a while, but I do use
sketchbooks and endless scraps of paper. I love the idea of
sketchbooks and would totally advocate using them, however the
greatest danger I see in this idea, is the lack of privacy.  Work in
a sketchbook which is totally private is and will be very different
to work which is done with an eye to it being seen examined assessed
or uploaded onto a website.  It is fine to publish stuff after the
event but intention is the key.

Fiona Robinson

On 28 Jan 2009, at 19:57, jenny soep wrote:

> Primarily, a sketchbook is for working out ideas and developing
> them to a more defined conclusion; a place for experimentation, a
> record of inspiration, a creative space and not for the 'finished
> project' or 'box ticked'.  Hopefully the shareholders and those
> assisting the project will accept it as such and be aware that
> their responses need to be more empathic with the teachers
> encountering this experiment first-hand.
>
> I don't know if the 'sketchbook' has one definite form, but some
> creative space to note down those thoughts, ideas and things to
> remember wouldn't be a bad thing in a classroom.
> I look forward to seeing the results of this debate and project.
> All the best with it.
>
> Jenny

Fiona Robinson
www.fionarobinson.info