-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of swift
Sent: 22 January 2009 16:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Exams - room issues

It is definitely something that varies from student to student...so
generalisations are indeed difficult.  I don't think that anyone can say
'most students from group x will be offended by description y', unless
'description y' is something unprintable.

Personally I believe the felt meaning behind the description has more
weight than the actual description.

2009/1/22 John Conway <[log in to unmask]>:
> I certainly try - but it is confusing to know what is currently in
> vogue and whether there is an accepted convention.  Do I say
> "dyslexics"  "dyslexic students"  "students with dyslexia" ???  I've
> seen all used and all criticised in turn.
>

> Certainly there is no offence intended as I am referring to 20% of our

> student body and as a full time lecturer I work with many of these
> students on an almost daily basis in lectures, tutorials, practical
> classes etc. and many are good friends.  In fact they voted me an
> honorary D??? (whatever word / phrase I am allowed to use) last year
> for my passionate recognition of them!
>

> John

This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses by
McAfee anti-virus software and none were detected

This email was independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were found