A genetic statistician to work as a staff scientist at the Institut Pasteur
Paris

The Institut Pasteur will recruit up to 10 staff scientists in 2009. The
recruitment campaign is aimed at young Ph.D. or M.D/Ph.D. scientists.
We are currently looking for a genetic statistician who would like to work
as a staff scientist at the Institut Pasteur, Paris. The Institut Pasteur
is now developing a team working on genetic susceptibility to infectious
diseases. We have several groups in the campus using human or mouse genetic
approaches to understand pathogenesis of infectious diseases. Current
groups include: Lluis Quintana-Murci (population & evolutionary genetics),
Anavaj Sakuntabhai and Richard Paul (human genetics of malaria and dengue),
Jean-François Bureau (mouse genetics of viral infection), Jean-Jacques
Panthier and Xavier Montagutelli (mouse genetic susceptibility to
infectious diseases)., etc. In addition, we have groups working on genetics
of neurological disorders and development including Christine Petit
(deafness), Phil Avner (X chromosome-inactivation) Thomas Bougeron (autism
and language development?) and Kenneth Mc Elreavey (sex determination and
fertility). We also have a group of Kenneth Vernick working on mosquito
genetic susceptibility to the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciprum.
With such a diversity of ongoing projects on the campus, we are developing
a core group to support work on genetics of higher eukaryotes. We have
already invested in Illumina platform for high-throughput genotyping. We
would like to develop a team of genetic statistics/bioinformatics to work
with several groups on the campus as mentioned above. The candidate will
have an opportunity to work on different types of genetic projects
including population genetics, genome wide association, family based
association study, monogenic disorder, quantitative traits, genetic
epidemiology, mouse genetics etc.  The candidate would be encouraged to
develop novel analytical and statistical methods for the ever increasingly
complex data sets being generated. With this position, it is possible to
have master and PhD students from French university or international students.
If you, your self or you know of any person who is currently looking for a
permanent staff scientist position with opportunity to develop his/her own
career in genetic statistics, please find more information on the website:
http://www.pasteur.fr/ip/easysite/go/03b-00002p-019/institut-pasteur/job-posting-and-tenders/senior-group-leaders-positions/recruitment
. The deadline is February 16, 2009.
In addition, please contact me for help with the application.

Anavaj Sakuntabhai MD DPhil

25-28 Rue du Docteur Roux
Laboratoire de Génétique de la réponse aux infections chez l'homme,
Laboratory for Genetics of human response to infection,
Institut Pasteur,
75724 Paris Cedex 15
France
tel: +33 (0)1 44 38 91 03