Sent: Thu 15/01/2009 15:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Expense Claims Checking

It has been suggested - not by me - that the University might abandon
checking all expense claims in favour of conducting regular spot checks.
I'm told this is what now happens in the Civil Service. The purpose of
the move is to reduce costs. At the Open claims checking is delegated to
spending units, i.e. there is no central checking.

My immediate reaction is one of alarm as I can't believe that this will
lead to anything other than a reduction in standards and 'open season'
for many staff to claim what they want.

I would be grateful if readers of this message could reply saying
whether they do or don't operate such a policy and if they do - does it
work?

Thanks.

John Gillespie

Open