Would it be fair to say that from the beginning of ceremonial magic there were people who worked in groups and others that preferred to be alone for such things?  And of course, there were people who liked both.  It seems a likely assumption.  Personally, my image of a ceremonial magician is one that draws certain strengths from hermit-like living and would likely not share easily with others the secret powers he or she employs, being extremely choosy with his or her relationships outside the home.

"The mundanes are a weight that unfortunately must be borne from time to time..."    - a naughty wizard

However, we know that priests from the main western world religious traditions practice a form of ceremonial magic.
Magicians who seek mainly to help people, like a priest or shaman, would be unable to help the people they do if they worked in solitude for they act as spiritual doctors.   They would probably be bored if alone.

It all comes back to intention.  What is the intention of the act?  Personally, I like the idea of helping people, but I can imagine ways to do that in the solitude of my sanctum sanctorum.

Marc Carter