From: Caroline Tully <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Theatre and Magic(k)
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 4:15 PM

Speaking of the crossover between theatre and magic(k), now I remember when I came across the Caliphate OTO in Australia in the early 90s, they were also into Golden Dawn style ritual and I remember the Master of the group telling me that most of his Golden Dawn group members joined because they *thought it would help them with their acting / theatre work* - his social scene was very into performance art. I was disgusted at that, because I considered that the joining of a magical order should be purely for exploration of magical ritual, or at least primarily for that purpose. I donít necessarily think that now. Around that time I started to see material coming out from, I think it was either Church of All Worlds or Reclaiming, on how to make really theatrical rituals... specific workshops on how to do that. You do need to do a good theatrical job when performing big public rituals, of course. (Well, do you? I mean what is this? Magic(k) or religious spectacular? My idea of magic(k) is intense focus on the task at hand, not *performing* for other people, Iíve always been rather annoyed at that, I mean when Iíve found myself in those performance situations, but thatís me Ė I guess CAW and Reclaiming are really ĎPaganí rather than ĎMagicalí.. although that could be debated and participants do claim to be doing Ďmagicí).  Also, of course the G.D and O.T.O. rituals *are* very much like being in a play (not that Iíve ever been in a play Ė because acting is the last thing I want to do ever - but I have read some)!

~Caroline.