From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of John Briggs
Sent: Sat 08/11/2008 2:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] misericords and singing the Office

Madeleine Gray wrote:

> We have actually been debating this in the context of the Llandeilo
> Talybont reconstruction project - the extent to which 'ordinary'
> parish churches would have had the resources for singing the office,
> including not only choirs but the increased popularity of liturgical
> organ music by the early C16. (This might also tie in with the
> discussion on lay use of Latin.)

Well, the principal resource required would have been money!  I would expect
only a collegiate church to perfom a complete Office, and even Secular
Cathedrals were markedly reluctant to perform the Night Office during the
night! Rich parishes could afford to pay a choir (cf Thomas Tallis at St
Mary-at-Hill), but a complete Office would mean a full-time choir, which
would be remarkably expensive. Many parishes would have had a 'parish clerk'
who would have been something of a musician - perhaps an organist - as well
as dealing with paperwork, and perhaps being choirmaster. Yes, lay
participation in the choir is recorded, e.g. Sir Thomas More - but More's
knowledge of Latin was exceptional, and a degree of wealth is required to
have the leisure to indulge in that sort of thing.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]