________________________________

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stoddart, Heather
Sent: 11 November 2008 10:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: tTG & IgA

Dear all,

Many thanks to all those who responded to my previous query regarding
follow on testing when an abnormal IgA is discovered on coeliac
screening.  I have anonymised all responses, and they are below.
Following some audit work, we have adopted a policy of reflexing IgG &
IgM and electrophoresis on all samples with IgA <0.1 or >8 g/L, and
notifying the requesting clinician and requesting a further sample if
immunofixation is required.

Heather

Heather Stoddart

Senior Clinical Scientist

Chemical Pathology, St Mary's Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust

Praed St, London, W2 1NY

tel: 020 7886 1355 / 1268

fax: 020 7886 1904

email: [log in to unmask]

This has been passed on to me for comment. At the *** Hospital IgA
screening is done on all sera which have an OD below 1 as this
identifies low IgA samples. If there is an IgA of less than 0.07 g/L by
nephelometric assay we do an Ochterlony assay. If there is no IgA to be
seen, and IgG Endomysial antibody test is carried out for Coeliac
testing and the IgA reported as deficient for the requesting clinican to
be aware of possible problems related to IgA deficiency.

If the IgA is raised to above normal this could indicate infection or
inflammation (often mucosal) and there is a possiblity of liver disease
or gammopathy. The decision to do any more tests is based on available
clinical and diagnostic test information and left to the Clinical
Immunologist authorising tests. It is NOT routine to test for all the
immunoglobulins. Patients with pathological IgA increases will
inevitably be identified and diagnosed by symptoms which indicate that
they require the appropriate tests to be done!

We currently analyse IgG tTG alongside IgA tTG as a logistically easier
way (and cost effective) of providing relevant supportive diagnostic
information.  Our analyser also gives us good information as to likely
IgA deficient patients (error on IgA tTG result) and these samples we
run immunoglobulin measurements on (same combined analytical lab with
autoimmune work incorporated with the biochem section of pathology - no
separate "immunology" section).

In *** Hospital we perform around 400 anti-tTG assays a week. We do not
test IgA on all of them. If requested to test IgA we do, if the assay OD
is low we do, and we specifically look at all paediatric requests and
decide whether IgA testing is indicated. Incidentally we've detected
positive anti-tTG abs down to levels of 0.3 g/L IgA measured on the
Behring nephelometer.
Whether the IgA is high or low we also go on to measure IgG and IgM. I
would perform serum electrophoresis where immunoglobulin levels are
abnormal in adults over 30 years old (although this suggested age is not
from a specific policy). Clearly it's not always appropriate to do SEP
on all abnormals, it depends on the situation e.g. all immunoglobulins
raised in a patient with liver disease is unlikely to be anything other
than polyclonal. It depends on the pattern and clinical situation. If
you wanted to keep things simple/quicker you would have to do SEP and
full Igs as soon as a low/high IgA is detected.
As to the appropriateness, we've identified multiple paraproteins in
people being investigated for coeliac disease because of anaemia and
have never received a complaint when more information is generated than
was asked for.

We measure tTG on a DiaSorin Liaison (in biochemistry) as a response to
request for 'coeliac screen'.

All tTG results carry the message :

Patients with IgA deficiency may give falsely LOW tTG results. IgA
levels should be checked if there is any clinical suspicion of IgA
deficiency.

There is a limit to how many hands we can hold.  I would expect the
clinician to call the shots if there is a strong suspicion of celiac and
normal tTG.

In *** Hospital, our protocol for coeliac screening has always included
detection of both IgA and IgG antibodies on all patients. IgA deficient
individuals with untreated coeliac disease will produce IgG antibodies.
Discussion with our consultant gastroenterologists has shown the need
for confidence in the negative results and the ability to diagnose
coeliac disease in IgA deficient individuals.

In April 2007 we changed from IgA and IgG endomysial antibodies to IgA
and IgG TTG antibodies (Phadia Immunocap). The positives and equivocals
are confirmed by IgA and IgG endomysial antibodies and patients with
only IgG antibodies also have IgA measured (immunoglobulins and
electrophoresis investigations are done in immunology here). Since April
2007 we have found at least 6 patients with IgA deficiency and coeliac
disease who would otherwise have remained undetected if we only tested
for IgA TTG antibodies. We issue an interpretive comment "These results
are suggestive of coeliac disease in an individual with IgA deficiency"

IMPERIAL COLLEGE HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST NOTICE: This message may
contain confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the person or entity that it is
addressed you should not review, disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if
you have received this by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secured or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. The sender
therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-
mail transmission. The views and opinions expressed in this e-
mail message are the senders own and do not necessarily represent
the views and opinions of Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.

list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical
biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be
viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and
they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions
(How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/