Thanks Donald.

Ok, I can see how that would work, but doesn’t this sort of limit you to just 3 factors or less?  It doesn’t seem like the flexible factorial method has that limitation.

-John

From: MCLAREN, Donald [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 4:41 PM
To: West, John D.; SPM
Subject: Re: [SPM] Flexible factorial design error

Since you have specified "All Scans", you need a factor matrix with 4 columns. There is no way for SPM to know which scans go with which subject if you leave it out. If you choose the other option, then you specify the other levels on a subject by subject basis and thus there is explicit knowledge of which scans go with which subjects.

Column 1: should list the observation/row number
Column 2: factor 1 level
Column 3: factor 2 level (if no factor 2, use 1s)
Column 4: factor 3 level (if no factor 3, use 1s)

e.g.
1 1 1 1
2 1 1 2
3 1 1 3