I'm generally becoming more reluctant to answer newbie questions (because I
tend to be bombarded off-list by emails of the "thanks for answering that
question, but now I have several more" kind), but this one has been well
formulated in terms of describing the SPM version, the updates that were
installed and the fact that you have looked through the manual and are trying
out the example data sets.

The problem sounds like the file selector hanging for some reason.  It is
producing the figure, but not getting as far as drawing the various panels.
Is it possible that there is a seriously large number of scans in the
directory, and maybe it is taking a very long time to list them all?  Other
than that, I can't see what the cause of the problem would be.

Try changing to another directory (possibly with fewer files) and typing the
following:

    P=spm_select;

If this doesn't work, then I'll need to have a bit of a think.

Best regards,
-John