Well - Lec's quote is talking about "progress", and fits rather easily
in that whole Eurocentric colonialist discourse which mediates between
the civilised and the primitive worlds. Which is how I read it.
Cannibalism is in the popular imagination associated with "primitive"
(ie black or darkly coloured, certainly Indigenous and Third World)
peoples. Think Indiana Jones. Which I love, but which doesn't bear too
much examination. The only white cannibals I can think of are Sawney
Bean and his family, and they're considered gruesome freaks, not the
emblematic image of the Scots (or that gay German cannibal who
advertised for his dinner).  If it's funny, it's because of the
assumed impossibility of a "cannibal" (complete with skull necklace
and bodypaint) eating with a knife and fork. It doesn't work with a
Scot or a German.

Not to make too heavy weather of it, but racism, sexism, homophobia
etc operate mostly at a level of assumed mutual knowledge, ie
subtextally. Which is ironically enough a result of said PC, which
polices the language but ignores what's behind it. That's where the
proper critique of PC conventions should exist, since the language
morphs without making any differences to the structured realities that
inform racism etc. The right wing attacks on PC means attacking the
whole idea that there is any such things as racism, sexism etc. It
gets complex - for example, it's often the misogynist men who feel
compelled to explain to you how unsexist they are, because they
assiduously observe the proper language, and I've often got on
hilariously well with men who are overtly sexist, but who in their
actions just take people as they come.

Anyway, I've work to do and should stop blathering. I'm meeting Patti
Smith on Friday - how cool is that?

xA