From: Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]>

> Although Merriam-Webster castigates old fogeys (like me) for objecting to
using "loan" as a verb (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loan[2]), I
would still change "loan" to "lend." "Loan me your ears" clanks on mine ;-))

a difference between U.S. & U.K. usuage, apparently, as your link to the U.S.
dictionary site suggests (last two sentences below):

loan

Function: transitive verb

Date: 13th century
: lend

USAGE: The verb loan is one of the words English settlers brought to America
and continued to use after it had died out in Britain. Its use was soon
noticed by British visitors and somewhat later by the New England literati,
who considered it a bit provincial. It was flatly declared wrong in 1870 by a
popular commentator, who based his objection on etymology. A later scholar
showed that the commentator was ignorant of Old English and thus unsound in
his objection, but by then it was too late, as the condemnation had been
picked up by many other commentators. Although a surprising number of critics
still voice objections, loan is entirely standard as a verb. You should note
that it is used only literally; lend is the verb used for figurative
expressions, such as “lending a hand” or “lending enchantment.”

and the OED:

Now chiefly U.S.

v., trans. To grant the loan of; to lend.

c1200 Vices & Virtues (1888) 77 Gif u him lanst ani ing of inen.

c1205 LAY. 3680 Ich e wulle lanen of mine leode-folc fif hundred schipes.

Ibid. 6247 Ic eow wulle lanen [etc.].

1542-3 Act 34 & 35 Hen. VIII, c. 2 §1 Lonyng or leying out the same for
gaines in purchasing landes.

c1640 J. SMYTH Lives Berkeleys (1883) I. 203 In yeares of dearth and Scarcity,
[he] loaned to many of them..wheat and other corne out of his grayneries.

1644 J. LANGLEY Mournf. Note of Dove 20 By way of location, or loaning them
out.

1729 B. FESSENDEN in N. Eng. Hist. & Gen. Reg. (1859) XIII. 32 Gershom Tobey
loans Oxen.

1740 Connect. Col. Rec. (1874) VIII. 320 The remainder of the said thirty
thousand pounds..shall be loaned out to particular persons.

1785 Weston Rec. (Massach.) 19 Sept. (1893) 370 Said sum being Loned to the
Treasurer by the Direction of the Town.

1803 FESSENDEN Terrible Tractorat. I. (ed. 2) 3 They will not loan me, gratis,
Their jingling sing~song apparatus.

1834 J. C. CALHOUN Wks. II. 328 The power to withdraw the money from the
deposit, and loan it to favorite State banks.

1847 O. A. BROWNSON Wks. V. 541 We once loaned a Protestant lady a pamphlet by
an eminent Catholic divine.

1880 BONAMY PRICE in Fraser's Mag. May 674 He receives a deposit from one man;
he loans it out in part..to another.

1896 N. NEWNHAM-DAVIS Three Men, etc. 172 The stalls..are barrack chairs
loaned for the occasion.
absol. or intr. a1325 Prose Psalter xxxvi[i]. 27 The rytful ys merciful..and
lane [MS. Dubl. lene].

1864 in WEBSTER. 1901 N. Amer. Rev. Feb. 262 The limit..within which the
executive officers..may loan to a director.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]