Andrew, I think there's quite a large literature, both overviews -- for
example: Edwin S. Gaustad, *Dissent in American Religion*, Chicago history
of American religion, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2006; and for an
earlier period: George H. Shriver, *American Religious Heretics: Formal and
Informal Trials*, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1966 -- as well as studies of
individual cases.

For example, the case of the Presbyterian Lloyd Geering in New Zealand in
1967 spun off a whole literature, which continues to the present, even
having a presence on YouTube <http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=41LNYusKhfs>.

In the Catholic Church such accusations are handled ultimately by the
Congregation for the Doctine of the Faith, and there are books or multiple
books on many of these conflicts (Hans Küng, Edward Schillebeeckx, Tissa
Balasuriya, Leonardo Boff, and so on). Paul Collins, *The Modern
Inquisition: Seven Prominent Catholics and Their Struggles with the Vatican*,
Woodstock, NY: Overlook Press, 2002, is more journalistic than scholarly but
may give some starting-points.

And I see there's even a Wikipedia article listing many individual cases <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heresy_in_the_20th_century>  -- Paul Chandler

2008/10/5 Andrew Larsen <[log in to unmask]>

> This is a somewhat far-fetched request, but does anyone on this list know
> of
> any literature studying accusations of heresy in modern religious colleges
> or institutions?
>
> Andrew E. Larsen

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Paul Chandler, O.Carm.  |  Institutum Carmelitanum
via Sforza Pallavicini, 10  |  00193 - Roma  |  Italy
tel: +39-06-6810.0849  |  fax: +39-06-6830.7200

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]