From: British archaeology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Longinus Sdapeze
Sent: 24 October 2008 08:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] The History of Archaeology

My interest is purely personal, not academic. I have a book by Rev Philip
Morant dated c1780 and in it he talks about various earthworks and finds
with
sketches, etc. in the Colchester area. I also know of later collectors who
must have done a lot of damage to sites in their search for artifacts. I
would
like to know more about early observers, collectors, archaeologists. Where
were
 they working, on what, when and why? Has such a book been researched and
written  or is this a thesis waiting to be done. I have such a book on the
history of  Christianity in Britain, which I find of great interest. We just
take
archaeology for granted but who were the earliest exponents? Any ideas?

Sdapeze (in Colchester)