There is a good definition of Serendipity at http://
www.medienkunstnetz.de/exhibitions/serendipity/, I quote

  " Serendipity was coined by Horace Walpole in 1754. There was a
legend about three princes of Serendip (old name for Ceylon) who used
to travel throughout the world and whatever was their aim or whatever
they looked for, they always found something very much better.
Walpole used the term serendipity to describe the faculty of making
happy chance discoveries. Through the use of cybernetic devides to
make graphics, film and poems, as well as other randomising machines
which interact with the spectator, many happy discoveries were made."

Is the idea here that cybernetics somehow penetrates a seeming
randomness in the phenomenal world to uncover deeper (serendipitous)
structure and meaning? This would fit well with the artist-as-seer/
artist-as-revolutionary personas of Joseph Beuys, Guy Debord  and
others influential to the '68 uprisings.

I think that cybernetics provides us with as good a framework for
seeing wholes and critiquing 'the system' as it did forty years ago
but minus the utopian, revolutionary fervour. Ecological thinking
shares with cybernetics a perception of relationships and links
between things not immediately apparent and not part of general
public discourse.

As an artist who works a lot in the public realm, I also think that
cybernetics/system theory has had a significant positive influence on
aspects of current urban and transport design.

A crash course in cybernetics and ecological science should be
mandatory for anyone seeking public office.

Simeon