I have had opportunities to discuss Cybernetic Serendipity with Jasia in the past -- in 1968 the landscape of 'technological art' certainly was different and there was a gender imbalance. The Feedback exhibition co-curated by Jemima Rellie, Charlie Gere, and me for the Laboral Art center last year tried to set up a larger historical narrative of teh histories of new media art, including both works from Cybernetic Serendipity (though not in working condition) and the 60s (Vera Molnar) and connecting them to contemporary work by female and male artists:

http://www.laboralcentrodearte.org/feedback/index_001.html

Christiane

-----Original Message-----
From: Curating digital art - www.crumbweb.org on behalf of Paul Brown
Sent: Tue 9/2/2008 7:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fwd: [OlatsNewsEnglish] Cybernetics Serendipity Redux

Regarding Cybernetic Serendipity at least one woman exhibited there.
Margaret Masterman (with Robin McKinnon-Wood) of the Cambridge Language
Research Unit showed their "Computerised Haiku".

  http://www.in-vacua.com/haiku.html
  http://www.chart.ac.uk/chart2004/papers/clements.html

  -there's more - Google "Computerised Haiku"

I was under the impression that Vera Molnar also was there but looking
through her Bio see that she only began doing computer-based work in 1968 -
so possibly was too late to be included?

The gender issue has been an ongoing part of the computational arts debate
since it's earliest days.  Brenda Laurel has been a commentator:

  http://www.tauzero.com/Brenda_Laurel/

Best
Paul