I'm joking around a bit here, but I've heard painters saying the same
thing.  "we're ignored, no one understands us, etc"  "There's all
these grants and programs I could do if I just used the internet in
my work."  They can claim they're more involved in analysis and
evaluation.  Photographers also are excellent at this - "people think
what we do isn't art, but it iiiiiiis."

Maybe artists in general are more comfortable feeling marginalized,
or identify as an underdog. It's better to feel off on our own, or in
a small group, determined to have people understand.

There's support and resources for all media, I don't know how one
would determine if it was distributed fairly.  It's when you compare
the support for the arts as a whole against, say, the support for and
up and coming or mid-career military contractor that there's an
imbalance.

Ok,  I don't want to side track this...
Steve

--