From: Jessalynn Bird <[log in to unmask]>

> Dear Cecilia,

> Sorry for the delayed reply.  What period was the vow redemption from? (This
makes a big difference both in theory and in practice--as far as both can be
surmised).

which is all that kept me from offering a definitive answer to the original
querry --all those late, Copy-Cat guys are of no interest to us Genuine Second
Crusade People.

> By the way,  I just read your book on Louis IX with much interest.  It is
absolutely magnificent!

Gaposchkin, M. Cecilia.
The making of Saint Louis: kingship, sanctity, and crusade in the later Middle
Ages.
Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2008.
331 p. : ill., maps

yes, doesn't look too bad.

one of those Fly-by-Night U.P.s, of course.

>On Behalf Of Cecilia Gaposchkin

> I have just been reading about the redemption of crusading vows.  One well
> documented case involving a nobleman's redemption involved his payment of a
> sum of money great enough to fund one miles for one year to go to the holy
> land. For this, the nobleman received his plenary indulgence.
>
> Can someone tell me about the said "miles" who would go in the nobleman's
> stead. Would he received the spiritual benefits of crusading? Would he get
> plenary indulgence? Is this a kind of "two for one" deal?  Or would the sum
> for the redemption, so calculated, be actually sent to the curial war
chest,
> rather than actually fund a replacement crusader.
>
> Thoughts and knowledge will be appreciated.
>
> thanks
> cecilia

> join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
> [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
> [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave
> medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems
or
> to contact the list's owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our
> web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]