John , my 1956 Breviarium Romanum (admittedly not medieval but retaining
most medieval/early modern usages) suggests you are right about the
commencement and relative 'trumps' of Vigils. I noted only two things in
addition: in the case of a Vigil being "outranked" by a feast, the use
of the Vigil lesson as the final lesson at Matins is optional (there is
always a commemoration at Lauds). Also vigils appear to be of different
ranks themselves, always "first class" they can be "semi double" (most I
looked at) or "simple" (Christmas).

best,

jbw

John  B. Wickstrom