Another article by Guarducci "Osservazioni sulla croce di Ercolano",
in *Bullettino
dell'Istituto Archeologico Germanico *60-61 (1953-1954): 224-233, later in
her *Scritti scelti* (1983), is available, at least in part, at Google Books
via this abbreviated URL (in Italian; if necessary search for "Ercolano"): <
http://tinyurl.com/5htygt>

John's judicious comments are correct: Guarducci was a respected
archeologist and epigrapher, but many thought that she was inclined to
speculation and overstepping the evidence. It was she who proposed the
reading "Petros eni" (Peter is here) of a graffito on the red wall of the
paleo-Christian monument underneath the high altar of St Peter's Basilica as
proof that it was Peter's burial place, but others have felt she was too
enthusiastic in proposing a definitive interpretation of fragmentary and
complex evidence.

The 1951 Holladay article I referred to earlier is available on JSTOR. --
Paul Chandler

2008/9/11 John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

> In the article from 1993 cited here, the archeologist and epigrapher
> Margherita Guarducci (1902-99) concluded that these objects (there seem to
> be two of them, one at Herculaneum and one at Popmpeii) are Tau crosses:
> http://www.gliscritti.it/gallery2/v/album_022/
>
> One should bear in mind both Guarducci's age at the time that this article
> was written and the views of some that her interpretations have at times
> exceeded the limits of the evidence available.  Given that she made no
> secret of her devout Christianity and that some of her work dealt with
> matters that were sure to be controversial, it's not surprising that there
> would be such criticism.  One has to proceed with caution here.
>
> This might also be useful: Lorenzo Falanga, _ La croce di Ercolano.
> Cronistoria di una scoperta_ (Napoli: M. D'Auria, 1981; Quaderni
> dell'Associazione per lo studio e la divulgazione dell'archeologia biblica,
> quaderno n. 2).
>
> Best,
> John Dillon
>

> On Thursday, September 11, 2008, at 12:38 am, George Hoelzeman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:03:45 +0200, Paul Chandler wrote:
> >
> > >Some suggest that the earliest surviving cross is from Herculaneum
> > (before AD 79): <; cf. William L. Holladay,
> > "The Herculaneum Cross", Journal of Bible and Religion, Vol. 19
> > (1951): 16-19. I'm not sure what the modern scholarly consensus is
> > about this cross. (Does
> > anyone know?)
> >
> > This is EXTREMELY interesting. . . I, too, would be interested in any
> > further research on the subject.

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Paul Chandler, O.Carm. | Institutum Carmelitanum
via Sforza Pallavicini, 10 | 00193 - Roma | Italy
tel: +39-06-6810.0849 | fax: +39-06-6830.7200

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]