> You just reminded me I had seen a facsimile of a papal seal
> with the
> heads of both Peter and Paul.  According to this web site,
> Gregory VII
> introduced that form of seal:
>
> www.unigre.it/pubblicazioni/lasala/*Papal*%20*Seals*.pdf
>
> The one I recall was a facsimile of a bull of Innocent III
> to King John
> of England.
>
> Also, bulls threaten those who fail to obey with the wrath
> of Peter and
> Paul:
>
> e.g. from Rashdall:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=0O41AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA732&lpg=PA732&dq=nulli+ergo+si+quis+autem&source=web&ots=HH_4xbqgNV&sig=erEhK1wUsKhOuu3BS0mbqPiwrMI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
>
> So, Paul did not drop out entirely, though the expression
> see of Peter
> says much about the predominance of the idea of being his
> successor.

That's good to be reminded of.  By this point in history though, the famed story of the apostles appearing with Leo to face down Attila the Hun was well known, and Peter and Paul had an octave together in the liturgy.

Still though, I wonder how many Pauline sites in Rome were visited by pilgrims in contrast with other apostolic notables.

Larry Swain

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]