*** apologies for cross-posting***

MetaKnowledge Mash-up 2.0: Making and Organising Knowledge in Communities
A joint ISKOUK/KIDMM Day conference/workshop

London, 9 October 2008
10:00 -17:00 (registration opens 9:15)

VENUE: British Computer Society London rooms, Davidson Building, 5 Southampton
Street, London WC2E 7HA

FEE: 20 GBP (includes lunch, refreshments and materials)
To book you place, dowload the PDF form from
http://www.kidmm.org/home/mashup2008/MetaKnowledgeBookingForm.pdf
and fax it or post it to the British Computer Society. Pre-registration is
essential and must be received by end of business Tuesday 7th October. There are
no facilities for paying on the door. Booking queries: Mandy Bauer
([log in to unmask]; tel. 01793 417472)

In keeping with the last year's successful event the MetaKnowledge Mash-up 2007,
BCS KIDMM (http://www.kidmm.org) and ISKO UK (http://www.kidmm.org) have joined
efforts to organize a follow-up event.

Knowledge management professionals know that much of the knowledge which drives
a successful organisation derives from its communities, both formal and
informal; and that knowledge can be used and shared more easily if it is organized.

In many organisational contexts, be they businesses, government departments,
professional associations and social enterprises, a lot of the most useful
knowledge is not contained in documents and other written forms; it is in
peoples' heads. Before knowledge organisation can begin, there is already the
challenge of eliciting and formulating what people know. What are the methods
and tools that can help in these processes?

If knowledge organisation (KO) is at work the instant we open our mouths or tap
on a keyboard, how and to what degree should we formalize it in our communities,
whether face-to-face or virtual? Perhaps different techniques apply in each
circumstance?

These are some of the questions surrounding KM and KO in the Web 2.0 age that we
hope will be raised and discussed on October 9th. The speakers have been
selected because they have case-study stories to tell, and there will also be
participative round-table exercises. If we can also find some answers, that will
be a bonus!

Speakers and contributors include: Alan Pollard, Conrad Taylor, Marilyn Leask,
Jan Wyllie, Lyndsay Rees-Jones, Christopher Dean, Sabine K McNeill and Susan Payne.

To read more about the event's programme and speakers visit the event's website
http://www.kidmm.org/home/mashup2008/