[apologies for the cross-posting, and for the slightly redundant
subject line. It's not even very funny.]

I'm looking for a search engine to handle what I guess is termed
"fuzzy searching" across a corpus of Latin legal texts.

Essentially, what we will have are TEI tagged transcriptions, but we
will not have detailed parts of speech encoding (and I don't believe
it's realistic to add such encoding), so the search could not rely on
tags. Variant spellings are a huge issue, so we
would like a search that is "smart" in the sense that it will have
some kind of algorithmic approach to finding potential variant
spellings (as opposed to relying on a list of known variant
spellings). We do not want to rely on any kind of Boolean searching
(commas, curly brackets, etc.). We want a search where the user will
discover the variants *after the fact* (once the search is done),
rather than having to make a determination about what those variants
might be ahead of time. Finally, the search will need to work both
within single transcriptions, and across multiple transcriptions
(potentially across the entire corpus).

Is anyone on-list familiar with any existing search engines or frameworks that
suit our needs, or that might be modified to suit them?

Thanks,
Dot