I haven't read this so cannot vouch for it but I thought that some people on the list might find it interesting.

For me I think I am interested to know how / what "progressive" thinkers in the USA have on their minds so will make time to read this just to check this out!

Jacqui

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sneak Preview: New Progressive Agenda
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:15:30 +0000

Click to view this email in a browser

Dear Friend of the Commonweal Institute,
This is a critical moment in American politics, and here at the Commonweal Institute we believe the next administration must aim for bold, transformative change in the politics and policies of this country. I am proud to announce that our organization has been instrumental in coordinating an ambitious project to define the next Presidential and Congressional agenda.

A Common Agenda: New Progessive Voices ImageNew Progressive Voices: Values & Policy for the 21st Century is a collection of essays by top progressive thinkers and leaders, who have come together to lay out a course for genuine progress in the government and governance of this country and all its people. The authors are an unusually diverse group from a wide array of organizations, perspectives and backgrounds; together, they grounded their essays in shared, progressive values. The result is a cohesive plan that establishes sound priorities for America’s future, and also lays the foundation for building a new intellectual base for American progressive politics.

Distinctive aspects of this report are:
  • Its emphasis, across issues, on even-handed inclusion of all our country's inhabitants in plans for the future;
  • The range of issues covered, reflecting the wide scope of the challenges facing us; and
  • The potential for rethinking, in the long term, America's contract with her citizens and our nation's place in the world.
This groundbreaking collaboration is a project of the Progressive Ideas Network, a new alliance of national multi-issue think tanks and advocacy organizations working together to amplify the power of ideas in advancing today's progressive movement. Its mission is to provide opportunities for collective action, offer service and training to its members, and create a forum for crafting long-term strategies and ideas.

The Commonweal Institute's Executive Director, Dr. Barry Kendall, leads this network as one of two Co-Chairs. As he writes in the Preface, 'The members of the Progressive Ideas Network believe in the possibilities for bold, transformational change in American society, and our business is to generate the ideas and policies needed to create that change. Our organizations contain hundreds of original thinkers in progressive politics, and our networks reach thousands of talented activists who fight every day for the rights and well being of millions of Americans.'

Read the complete report here.

We don't have to settle for more of the same middle-of-the-road thinking. With the backing of so many leading organizations, this common agenda can be a truly progressive starting point for the policy conversation this fall and after the election is over. We need your help to get there.

You can help us advance this bold progressive agenda:
  • Send a link to www.newprogressivevoices.org to all your friends.
  • Pick out essays you like and forward them on to colleagues.
  • Blog about the report and the ideas it puts forth.
And if you want to help us do even more to promote this important project, please consider making a donation to help underwrite our professional marketing and promotional campaign.
Click here to donate now!

Uniting progressives for a strong American future,

Kate

Katherine Forrest, MD
President and Co-Founder

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with 'Unsubscribe' in the subject line or simply click on the following link: Unsubscribe
Commonweal Institute
325 Sharon Park Drive, Suite 332
Menlo Park, CA 94025

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now! ___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COMMUNITYPSYCHUK For any problems or queries, contact the list moderators: Rebekah Pratt ([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask])