Conference paymentsIs this a joke? Who on earth are "the poor". Enough is enough. Please take me off the list
Craig
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul@home
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:31 PM
  Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] urgent CPUK press release

  Dear CPUK list
  Some established CPUK list members and I met recently to discuss what action the network needs to take in relation to the crisis in the housing market. Though our views were divergent, our meeting was amicable and we were able to reach consensus through including all of our views on the subject in the following statement which we intend to issue as a statement to the press tomorrow:
  "We, as a network of community psychologists, support the criticism made by the leader of the Conservative Party, David Cameron, of the Chancellor of the Exchequer's suspension of the Stamp Duty for properties under £150,000. We believe the poor should not be encouraged to buy properties at a time of such economic uncertainty and should instead be encouraged to rent property from housing associations. Further, we believe all property is theft and that the Chancellor's decision to stimulate the property market makes him an accessory to a social crime and makes estate agents entrepreneurial pimps (though we in no way condone the recent job cuts in the sector). As a network of community psychologists, community activists and users of psychological services we encourage the government to make greater use of public-private enterprise initiatives in the housing sector to ensure the poor have increased opportunities for housing as such opportunities will provide the poor with pathways to full citizenship through legitimate economic activity in their respective communities and this will help regenerate those areas where the underprivileged and criminally minded live."                     (Press statement released on behalf of the UK Community Psychology Network, Sept 3rd 2008)"

  Given the urgency of the issue, we intend to release the statement to the press tomorrow morning unless a significant number of list members raise substantial enough objections to us doing so.We are sending this statement because we wish to show stoicism in the face of the current economic crisis and hope that this will maintain our focus at the CPUK conference in Edinburgh on issues of import.

  ___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on [log in to unmask] or Grant Jeffrey on [log in to unmask]