News in the UK - Phoenix Futures Response to the new Scottish Government
Strategy:

News

Phoenix Futures is the leading provider of care and rehabilitation
services for people with drug and alcohol problems in the UK. Through 38
years experience of transforming lives we have developed a diverse
portfolio of services, across community, prison and residential
settings.

Breaking News!

Phoenix Futures: Response to the Scottish Drugs Strategy

We congratulate the Scottish Government on the new Drug Strategy, The
Road to Recovery. We particularly welcome the aspiration to reform the
way that drug services are planned, commissioned and delivered, placing
stronger emphasis on outcomes and recovery. We share the Scottish
government's vision for delivery of drug treatment and rehabilitation
services based on the principle of recovery. We believe that every
person who is dependent on drugs and alcohol has the potential to
rebuild their life and become and remain drug free. We endorse full
compliance with relevant quality/care and occupational standards. We
welcome both increased accountability and further financial investment.
Finally, we welcome the opportunity for service providers to fully
contribute the implementation of the action plan.

At Phoenix Futures, we are proud of our record of delivering effective,
evidence based residential rehabilitation and resettlement services that
enable people with drug and alcohol problems to successfully rebuild
their lives. The 2006 Drug Outcome Research Study in Scotland found that
29% of people who accessed residential services were abstinent from
drugs at 33-month follow up. Our Scottish national rehabilitation and
detoxification service based in Glasgow provided 39% of the residential
cohort for this study. On average, 49% of our residents complete our
programme and 91% of those who complete at least 12 weeks, enter
training, education or employment.

We believe that a key factor in achieving sustained recovery is
providing person centred needs led, integrated services that facilitate
a whole person approach; that may involve family/carers. We know that
overcoming drug dependency is only part of the challenge for our service
users. At Phoenix Futures, our services are individually tailored to
address a range of complex problems to enable people to rebuild their
lives and reintegrate into mainstream society. An example is our range
of employability and life skills programmes that complement our
therapeutic programmes. Our results are achieved through thriving
partnerships with commissioners, funders and other agencies.

Information for editors Phoenix Futures is a leading provider of care
and rehabilitation services for people with drug and alcohol problems in
the UK. As a national charity with almost 40 years experience, we have
developed a diverse portfolio of community services from Aberdeen to
Dumfries; and prison services from Inverness to Dumfries. We are the
largest provider of residential services in the UK. Our range includes
family and gender specific services. We believe that our service users
are individuals and that the recovery process for each person is
different. We use a variety of models and interventions to help people
along their personal path of recovery. As one of the most diverse
substance misuse organisations in the UK, we take pride in our ability
to support changed lives from the street through to resettlement. Our
service users are involved in the design, delivery, monitoring and
evaluation of our services.

Progress2Work Progress2Work is a programme to help unemployed drug users
into work, training or education; and to generally get their lives back
on track. Individual action plans highlighting goals are developed.
Barriers that can prevent former drug misusers from gaining work are
successfully addressed. Progress2Work is a partnership between Phoenix
Futures, Apex Scotland and Jobcentre Plus. The service is provided in
Edinburgh, Fife, Forth Valley, Renfrewshire and Lothian and Borders. By
March 2008, over 320 people had entered employment and over 500 entered
education or training courses.

Skills and Education Programme Our Skills and Education Programme (SEP)
helps service users gain practical skills to help them into education,
training and work. SEP is delivered with key partners, such as local
colleges and career agencies. SEP is tailored to clients' individual
goals and ambitions. Activity scope is wide ranging and includes IT,
beauty therapy, retail, administration and customer service training. A
portfolio of achievements and skills is developed as evidence of
progress which is a useful asset for individuals and potential
employers.

Contact details For more information please contact Lauren Murphy -
External Affairs Department 020 7234 9756 or visit
www.phoenix-futures.org.uk

Rowdy Yates
Senior Research Fellow
Scottish Addiction Studies
Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology Section
Department of Applied Social Science
University of Stirling

E: [log in to unmask] <BLOCKED::mailto:[log in to unmask]>

W: http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/showsection.php?id=4
<http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/showsection.php?id=4>  (home)
      http://www.drugslibrary.stir.ac.uk
<http://www.drugslibrary.stir.ac.uk/>  (library)

T: +44(0)1786 - 467737
M: 07894- 864897

--
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,