On Aug 27, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Christopher Crockett wrote:

> yes, but my experience of _niger_ was with a late 11th-early 12th
> c. family in
> the Blesois who carried it (over more than one generation, i
> believe) as a
> cognomen.

There's also the case of the Percies (Earls of Northumberland) who
had quite a long succession of eldest sons named Henry Algernon
Percy, including the 4th Earl of Northumberland, who was born about
1449. "Algernon" was originally a descriptive byname, meaning "with
the mustaches," and dating back to William le Perci Ohtlesgernuns (ca.
1180).

O    Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]